Teacher In The Sand

Husband, dad, son, brother, teacher who is deployed... My record of my life in the sand box.

Monday, July 10, 2006

After the fourth

Well, the fourth is over and what a fourth it was.
My favorite one liner is this, "Does Britain have a fourth of July?" and the questionee always (nearly) answers no, then I ask what happened to it? Ha! This usually earns groans, but it is funny how it seems to work all the time.
I suspect that Americans think that the 4th is just an American day because of the holiday and this tells us a lot about U.S.
In recent times there has been a lot of talk and writing about patriotism in this country. To some extremists, it is a dirty word, to some others it doesn't exists, but to most of us it is there. A heart felt love of country, of the ideals it stands for, the "spirit" of the nation so to speak.
It is quite evident when riding in the parade as part of our church's float, and seeing the very many, many people standing out in the pouring rain to watch.
The evidence is there at the fairgounds, again in the rain, as thousands watch the firework spectacular.
The more serious evidence is there; the Army meeting its enlistment goals, again. Entire companies re-enlisting all at once.
The people, everywhere working to make their community a better place. Not for personal gain or a memorial, just to pass something better on.
It is evident in the lack of dusty gravel roads that I used to travel on in the country. They are not (not quite all) paved and dust free.
That I have internet and can write what I want.
That I go to church and not worry about bombers.
That I can watch the same news story and get different perspectives on the same thing.
That as one sage remarked, "We may have political partianship, but we are not polarized".

I like the fourth of July.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home