Teacher In The Sand

Husband, dad, son, brother, teacher who is deployed... My record of my life in the sand box.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Five Months Later

Well....I have been back for five months now. January, Febuary, March, April and now May. And the transition to civillian live has been...well...different than I thought.
In Baghdad we were briefed on what to expect when we came back home. Now that I am here, I can see the briefers knew what they were talking about.
Today someone asked me about "over there" and it was hard to answer and after fumbling around awhile the answer was...well you'd just have to be there.
You can't understand unless you were there is the quote from an article I came across, http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/13/AR2006051301312.html
A long article, but a good read.
The spring this year is very beautiful here in Ohio. The green is greener, the flowers seem to have bloomed more than ever and the sky seems so blue than ever before. A reaction to being home? I dunno. People have remarked that this is the best spring they have seen. I do know one thing, it beats dry, blast furnance air, dust storms and constant brown landscape.
Today it rained, just like yesterday and the day before. In Iraq the place would be flooded with so much rain. And the mud! It is very nice to walk across the yard and not have ten pounds of mud on your feet.
I went running one day and notice I didn't hear gunfire, explosions or helicopters flying over head.
One change from one year ago---the constant quiet I hear now.

I am fortunate. I came home whole. I don't wake up at night with sights that no human should see. I have stopped jumping at sudden noises (well mostly) and maybe in a while I will be able to ride in a car like a normal person.
It is so nice to be home.
Again. Thanks to all those who wrote to me, prayed for me and thought of me and the guys in the platoon. We came home and I think that you had something to do with that.
Until next time, see ya!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home