Teacher In The Sand

Husband, dad, son, brother, teacher who is deployed... My record of my life in the sand box.

Friday, November 25, 2005

Top Ten LIsts

Well, here it is, almost over. Just a short time and I'll be on that bird heading back to the real world. So, I thought it would be time for some "top ten lists" from my year on active duty .
Movies
Man, oh man did I watch movies. Borrowed or bought, here are some of the ones that stick in my mind:
Best: Real-a movie about Real Madrid Football Club. Very entertaining and fun to watch.
A Corpse Bride-unusual to say the least, but fanciful and again entertaining.
Jackie Robinson Story-My wife sent me this one, a black and white film starring Jackie Robinson as himself. Inspiring to see how he overcame the prejuidce of his times and how others supported him. Not overdone, nor moralizing, just a good film.
Saints and Soldiers. Good drama about some soldiers behind enemy lines in WW II.
Best film watched on EML-Napoleon Dynamite. Not that it is an outstanding film, but that I watched with my youngest daughter that makes it special while home on leave. It is her favorite movie this year.
Worst: War of the Worlds-A remake of the same movie made in the 1950's, so remade that I wondered if they violated copyrights or something. Only the newer one is worst than the first. I like how the Martians have "protective screens" to prevent us from blasting them off the face of the earth. In HG Wells world, using today's weapons, we would. Ruins the whole thing.

Best ball game: OSU vs Mich. What a game! Need I say more?
The entire World Series. Depsite the time difference I got to see most of the games, thanks to a midnight duty.
The USC vs. Notre Dame game.
Best food from DEFAC: All those steak and lobster nights! Along with crab legs and shrimp.
Worst: New England Pot Roast ugh.

Weather
Best: Now when it is cool.
Worst: Pick a day: 130? How about raining and muddy? How about dust storms?

Misc.
People who don't know what they are doing telling you how to do your job.
People who don't know enough to not tell you how to do your job.
All the guys that went out everyday and did their job and did it well.

Well that's about all of the top ten lists which really weren't a top ten list at all is it? Well, happy thanksgiving!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FOX news this morning is saying that 56% of people on the street think that our efforts in Iraq are going to make a difference. Politicians are so out of touch from the people they "serve."

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband said Pres. Bush gave a great talk on the Iraq situation this morning. (Wed. 11/30) He said it made him cry. He also said Sen. Joe Lieberman just came back from Iraq and says we ARE winning the war and that his fellow democrats need to stop talking negative defeatism.
We stand behind you and all of our military. Stay safe.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home