Teacher In The Sand

Husband, dad, son, brother, teacher who is deployed... My record of my life in the sand box.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

SOME DAYS ARE HARDER THAN OTHERS



Not all was fun in the sun during my stay at home during EML. My daughter came home from college to visit me and we enjoyed our visit together except for that one day. The photos above show her and her companion, constant buddy for half her life, Cocoa. Cocoa was a stray that some friends found on their door step one day 11 years ago. Since they didn't want to keep a dog and my daughter was desperately looking for one, a match was made. This little girl trained this dog, won second place twice with her at the county fair in her 4-H club, took her with us on vacations, and just about anywhere she could. If she couldn't take her with her, then Cocoa would lie on her pillow waiting her return. I often thought the dog went into depression when she wasn't around.
But now the day had come and Cocoa is in pain, very sick, can hardly move and can hardly be picked up without cries of anguish. We settle in the vet's office and wait for the vet to appear with the hypos and silently wail.
I never thought it would be so hard to lose a dog, but it was harder to watch my little girl (yes I know she is 19 and in college, but she is still my little girl) cry over her little friend.
So some days are harder than others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home