Teacher In The Sand

Husband, dad, son, brother, teacher who is deployed... My record of my life in the sand box.

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Wow

I just looked at my blog and realized that it has been a couple of weeks since I last entered anything! Wow, where did the time go? Well, it has gone, that is where it has gone. Let's measure it:
Gone outside the wire-one time
Read three books
Did five crossword puzzles
Brushed my teeth a whole lot
Ate too much at the defac
Passed my PT test ! Hoorah!
Got sick one day....ugh...
Got better the next day!
Watch some movies, two were westerns, one a WWII sub thriller.
That movie starred Burt Lancaster and Clark Gable-"Run Silent, Run Deep"
E-mailed home a lot.
Worked everyday.
Then two weeks have passed and here it is May.
Today is Mother's day. Mine is a grand 85 years old. Born March, 1919, one year after WWI and now one of her sons is in another one. She is still recovering from knee, femur, and hip replacement surgery. What a trooper! Called and wished her a happy mother's day Thursday to avoid the long lines at the phone. Good thing I did, last night the line was long and today it will be longer. Remember, 2000 hrs here is 1200 EST. So when you go to bed, my day is just beginning (so to speak).
I often think of what my parents have seen in their lifetime. Both are still walking this earth, which is a blessing indeed. They have seen the move from horses to cars, a major world war, the advent of the space program, the change from mechanical to electrical to electronic age as well as the demise of the American Industry. They have gone from never eating out or hardly ever to anytime you want to. Small four cylinder cars to ...well... small four cylinder cars, but to Dad's credit he drives big cars.
Mom had to raise the three of us kids on not much while dad worked to make the bills and put the food on the table. Black and white tv while the neighbors had color. Old cars that dad kept running-unlike today where they are almost disposable. Dad working on holidays to make triple time to help pay for the holiday. Coming home from work and then coaching my baseball team (oh, that seems real familar to me know).
I don't remember the punishments for doing something wrong, but since I turned out all right, it must have worked. I remember the talks we had, mom driving me to practice, practice practice, and kinda scary fast to the doctor once when I was hurt.
And what did mom say when I called to wish her happy mother's day? You shouldn't have, its too expensive! Ah, good ole mom, I love you!
To all the mom's who sons and daughters are walking with me-happy mother's day!

And to my special mom-the mother of my children, love of my life-you too!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Don, it is cool here this week & over the weekend. Hubert & I are somewhat preparing for our move next month. We found a place we like in Texas. It is 5 mins. from Jay's apartment & the kid's school which will be convenient for all of us. However, it takes us 20 mins. to get to Jay's from our place because we have gotten lost every time. We'll figure it out soon, hopefully. Love, Janet

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home