Teacher In The Sand

Husband, dad, son, brother, teacher who is deployed... My record of my life in the sand box.

Monday, November 15, 2004

The day finally arrives.

I wake up and stare at the alarm clock. It is the final day as a civilian and back into uniform I go.
I wonder if my wife and daughter will make it all the way up from home in time to get a seat in the gym at the local college. It is a two and one-half hour drive for them. I miss them all ready and I haven't left.
My head hurts and my stomach hurts and it is time to go.
First we practice and then mingle with new friends and their families and then my family arrives. Take some photos and talk and avoid the subject but not very well.
The other day the Chaplin stated that "your soldier has started distancing himself from you emotionally" and I wish he'd told us that a month ago because that is exactly what I did.
Time to leave and the dam breaks and the tears flow and then they are gone. I didn't want them to come back tomorrow morning as we get on the bus and leave, I don't want to go through it again and as I watch the other families and I glad we didn't. But then, it would be nice to see them again.
The support shown to us was overwhelming and just great.
Thank you very much.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi mr. Jacobs, it`s Lisa from ur 8th period i just wantedto say becarful an ur sub is doind an ok job

take care
Lisa

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Don. I hope things are not too bad for you. I know you must be missing family. We are missing you. We are praying for you. I'm sorry you will be away for Thanksgiving. We are thankful for you. Just want you to know you are on our minds & in our prayers. Love, Hubert & Janet

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Jacobs, it's Kristin from 6th per. Anatomy.
I'm writing to you because we need HELP! Ms. Owens
is making our class dumb. I told Mrs. Dawson about it and she said she'd say something about it, but things really haven't been the same since you've been gone. We've all really come to a realization that you're a much better teacher than we thought you were! haha
just kidding...but seriously, is there any way you can sneak back to the United States? Change your name or something...and come back to Fairfield!! We miss you!

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you had a nice Turkey Day Don!
Kevin and Kim

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr Jacobs! It's summer from period 2. I just wanted to make sure you shared your KitKats with all of your friends! We really miss you, Ms. Owens isn't nearly as fun as you! hope you come back safe!

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home